Why MBBS in Philippines?
The Philippines known officially as the Republic of the Philippines is an archipelagic country in Southeast Asia. Situated in the western Pacific Ocean, it consists of about 7,641 islands that are categorized broadly under three main geographical divisions from north to south: Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. The capital city of the Philippines is Manila and the most populous city is Quezon City, both part of Metro Manila. The Philippines is bounded by the South China Sea on the west, the Philippine Sea on the east and the Celebes Sea on the southwest and it shares maritime borders with Taiwan to the north, Vietnam to the west, Palau to the east, and Malaysia and Indonesia to the south.
The climate in the Philippines is very similar to India. English is one of the official languages in the Philippines and over 95% of the population speaks it. Filipinos are one the nicest, warmest and friendliest people in the world.
Basic Information about the Philippines:
- Capital City | Manila
- Official Language | English & Filipino
- Official Currency | Philippine Peso
- GDP | $ 314 billion
- Time Difference with India | Philippines is 2.5 hours ahead of India
- Population | 10.5 crores
MBBS in Philippines
Philippines is one of the best countries for students from India to do their MBBS from. MBBS abroad in the Philippines is world-renowned and recognized. It provides the perfect mixture of theoretical as well as practical knowledge, enabling the students to become successful practitioners. AMA School of Medicine, Our Lady of Fatima University and the University of Perpetual Help are some of the most prestigious medical universities in the Philippines.
The total expenses MBBS in Philippines fees, plus the food and the accommodation comes to be between ₹25- 35 lakh. English is the official language in the Philippines and hence Indian students studying MBBS in Philippines do not need to learn a new language. Also, the medical universities in the Philippines offer world-class infrastructure and brilliant faculty at 1/3rd of the cost of India.
The MBBS in Philippines degree is known as BS-MD. This is for an Indian student who is going to the Philippines to study post finishing his 12th std. The students will be taught the BS course (also known as the pre-medical course) for a period of 2 years. Post this, the student will study 4 years of the MD or the medical course which is divided into 3 years of theoretical learning and 1 year of internship/clinical rotation. After finishing the Pre-medical course, a student will have to appear for an NMAT (National Medical Admission test) and pass this exam in order to get admission into the 4 year MD program. A student will get 4 attempts for the NMAT while studying the BS course and they will be provided with the study material for studying for this exam. This test is to be cleared once in order to get admission to the MD course. You can get the NMAT sample paper too through us. The total duration of the MBBS course in the Philippines is 6 years.
*** Please do not believe any agent telling you that the MBBS in Philippines is for 5 years or even 5.5 years. They are only trying to fool you and make money from you. The MBBS in Philippines will take you a total of 6 years to complete and no less than that.***
Warning***: We are also hearing a lot of agents luring students by asking them to study their 1st year of medicine in India and the remaining time in the Philippines. This is not valid and not legal as well. Kindly refer to the link attached here in order to clear your doubts. The Commission of Higher Education in the Philippines has issued a notice and put it up on the website of the Philippine Embassy in India.
Have a look at it here:
Other than the cost of the tuition fees, there is a number of other expenses that a student needs to bare such as the cost for the accommodation, the food, an extension of the visa, the expense for the books and for everyday traveling too. Students can expect to get very good Indian food at the various MBBS in Philippines universities. This is due to the availability of an Indian mess at every MBBS college in the Philippines. Students can choose from a variety of cuisines as well.
As per the figures available for 2012-2014, the MCI (FMGE) screening test passing percentage of students who did their MBBS in Philippines was 24.6%.
Why Study MBBS in Philippines for Indian students (Advantages)
The following are the advantages of studying MBBS in Philippines:
- English is an official language in the Philippines and hence the MBBS course is taught in English. The student does not need to learn the local language.
- The MBBS in Philippines fees is extremely low and affordable. The students even have the option of paying the fees in installments.
- The climate in the Philippines is tropical and hence it is very similar to India. Due to this, the disease pattern amongst Filipinos is similar to Indians. Thus an Indian student studying MBBS in Philippines gets exposure to treating patients with similar diseases as they would in India. This makes them ready for the long run and helps them in strengthening their profile.
- As English is an official language in the Philippines, students will not have a problem during their clinical rotations when they have to interact with local patients.
- Philippines is a former US colony and hence it follows the US education system. Thus students studying MBBS in Philippines have a very good chance of clearing the USMLE exam and going to the US.
- Students from India will find the weather in the Philippines as very similar to India and hence it is a much better alternative than a country such as Russia.
- The Philippines education system focuses a lot on providing the students with practical knowledge and skills.
- The final year of MBBS in Philippines is a full clinical rotation for the students.
- As per the National Board of Examinations in India which releases the FMGE passing percentage figures every year, during the period of 2012-2014 the Philippine medical graduates had the highest passing percentage at 24.6%. This figure was higher than Russia, China, Ukraine or Georgia.
- From 2012-13 to 2016-17, MBBS in Philippines had the 2nd highest MCI Passing Percentage (minimum 900 students).
- The MBBS in Philippines is a 6 year course with the last year being of clinical rotation.
- Philippines provides an ideal gateway to the US. Any student wishing to go to the US to do PG and practice in the US should do his or her MBBS from the Philippines.
- The MBBS in Philippines curriculum is such that it prepares the student for part 1 and part 2 of the USMLE exam.
- MBBS in Philippines Course Duration
- MBBS course duration in the Philippines is 6 years including clinical training in the Philippines. After this, the student can come to
- India and sit for the MCI screening test known as the FMGE and do his or her internship in India or can sit for any other global exams such as the USMLE (USA) or the PLAB (UK).
MBBS in Philippines After Graduation
The Philippines offers a 4-year MBBS course to those students who have already finished their graduation in India. The student can save money that would have been otherwise spent on tuition fees, stay, and food and living expenses. MBBS in Philippines offers a subsidized fee structure for students who have already completed degrees such as B.Sc., BAMS, BHMS or B-Pharm in India. Contact AM Consulting for admission for MBBS in Philippines.
1.University of Northern Philippines
2.Davao Medical School Foundation
3.UV Gullas College of Medicine
4.AMA School of Medicine
5.University of Perpetual help
6.Emilio Aguinaldo college of Medicine